Has "Create an Accounting Procedures Manual" been on your To Do list for several months now? For several years? You aren't alone. We often stumble on this task for two, curiously contradictory reasons:
- Creating an Accounting Procedures Manual seems like too huge a task to get started on.
- An Accounting Procedures Manual is one of those things that takes a year and an hour to do.
So here's a template. Download the Word document, and everything you need to fill is in in red. So you can probably do a draft of the whole thing in 30 minutes.
Our thanks to Deborah Cooper of the California Association of Nonprofits, along with Meredeth Clark (also from CAN) and Steve Zimmerman, C.P.A., for this template.
Click here to download the Accounting Procedures Manual Template in Word.
Deborah Connors is the Chief Financial Officer of the California Association of Nonprofits and its for-profit subsidiary, CAN Insurance Services, and has worked in the nonprofit sector for the past 26 years. Her personal dream on the topic of accounting manuals is to create a "manual to account for" her teenage nephews’ thought processes.
See also in Blue Avocado:
- "Five Internal Controls for the Very Small Nonprofit" by Carl Ho, C.P.A.
- "Outsource Your Bookkeeping!" by Steve Zimmerman, C.P.A.
- "A Board-Staff Agreement for Financial Accountability" by Jan Masaoka
- "Nonprofit Bookkeeping Test" by Dennis Walsh, C.P.A.