Open Call for Submissions
Blue Avocado is accepting submissions from the nonprofit community. We are accepting contributions in the six categories listed below, three of which will result in a donation for published articles. In keeping with our mission to support the nonprofit sector, donations for published articles will be made to the 501(c)(3) nonprofit of the contributor’s choice, which may be the nonprofit at which the contributor works.
Contributors who do not work in the nonprofit sector but do work with nonprofits are also welcome to submit pitches in the categories of Human Resources or Funding for “publication only” categories. Nonprofits may also submit to these categories.
Please read the instructions carefully for each category and submit through https://blueavocado.submittable.com/. We do not accept articles submitted by email unless they require an Excel file. Categories and their allotted donation may change with the needs of the sector and new calls for submissions.
Blue Avocado Categories
- Nonprofit Boards ($200 + Publication): We’re looking for articles from nonprofit executives and board members on the topic of management-board relations, managing disagreements between the board and organization, fundraising, board responsibility, strategic planning, and other board-related topics. Submissions should be a minimum of 1,000 words and a maximum of 2,000 words. Note the category you are entering at the top of the first page and the title of your contributed article (for example, “Nonprofit Boards—Onboarding New Board Members.”) Please send us completed articles. We are not accepting pitches.
- Financial Health and Risk Management ($500 + Publication): Nonprofit staff and leaders can submit articles with templates to help readers prepare for auditing, budgeting, risk assessment and other financial analysis. Templates should be thoughtful and provide guidance to other nonprofit leaders. Templates should be sent as Excel files. Please send Excel files directly to email@example.com. Articles accompanying templates should be a minimum of 1,000 words. Note the category you are entering at the top of the first page (for example, “Financial Health—Effective Audit Planning.”) Please send us completed articles. We are not accepting pitches.
- Innovative Leadership ($700 + Publication): Are you a leader with a unique perspective who has navigated complex, systemic issues and confronted organizational or societal obstacles to operationalizing your mission? Submit an article describing the problems, how you’ve strategically solved them, and how other leaders like you can do the same. Submissions should be a minimum of 1,000 words. Note the category you are entering at the top of the first page (for example, “Innovative Leadership—How Organizational Change Leads to Social Change.”) Please send us completed articles. We are not accepting pitches.
- Human Resources (Publication Only): Do you have updates in employment law, legislation that affects nonprofits, or other legal discussions to offer Blue Avocado’s nonprofit readership? Our audience encompasses a diversity of nonprofit leaders in various causes whose organizations are impacted by changes in the legal landscape. Articles should be a minimum of 1,000 words. You may submit a pitch.
- Funding (Publication Only): How can nonprofits reach donors? How have you communicated effectively with your donors? Share your approaches and be sure to include checklists or other tools to help nonprofit leaders. Articles should be a minimum of 1,000 words. You may submit a pitch.
- Covid-19 (Publication Only): In the current climate, we encourage articles about re-opening during Covid-19. Share with the nonprofit community practical tools and tips about the safety measures nonprofits can implement and information nonprofits should consider as we being to re-open. Be sure to include checklists and other tools. Articles should be a minimum of 1,000 words. You may submit a pitch.
- Write for easy online reading. Use subheads and bullet points and avoid long text blocks.
- Articles must be original.
- Attribute content drawn from other sources.
- Style: Insight, perspective, advice, case study, first-person perspectives, checklists, quizzes.
- Send your article here: Submit an article.